Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Suit




This is my son Caleb who turns four this Saturday. This is his ultra sweet vintage suit that I purchased for him at Via’s Vintage in Uptown Mpls. It was 50% off and I have no idea why. I think this suit looks AAAAAmazing on my kid. And the best part is…he loves it!

Now the suit has been the source of the some discussion amongst friends. Some think I am being cruel by making him wear the suit. Others love that I found it and that he wears it. I can guarantee that whenever he wears it, there are only jealous, approving, prop calling nods thrown in our direction. Everyone loves the suit.

The friends in the camp of child cruelty look forward to when he sees pictures of himself at High School graduation and he is embarrassed that he not only owned but sported the plaid suit. That it will cause tension in our relationship because although he may love it now, I should know better and not force him to wear it. This will be his argument when he is older, allowing him to distribute all of his growing up issues on me. I should have known better.

Maybe I should, but I just can’t help myself.

The deal in our house, is that although there are times where certain clothes need to be worn, my kids get to pick what they want to wear. (The only clothes allowed in our house are appropriate ones, expect when Noah tries wearing Caleb’s clothes and then they are inappropriately tight.) I don’t want to fight over clothes. I enjoy the freedom of choosing what I want to wear, what I feel like wearing, what I believe matches and goes well together in an outfit. Sure, I have made mistakes. Some pretty legendary ones that should remain secret in High School, but I want my kids to have that freedom.

Be a storm trooper today. Just own it! Want to make a super hero out of all of your orange clothes and a cape, go for it. You think all camouflage matches, well I can argue with you, but you can wear it, until you’re about 9 then we have to talk. For all the things that we correct in our house and expect out of our children, I want to give them this freedom.

So, for those of you who know me and my family, you can guarantee that I did not, nor have I ever forced my son into wearing this suit. He LOVES it! Which I love because I think it’s an awesome suit. I do have to confess that when I brought it home, I said, “Look Caleb, I found you a Bruce Wayne suit!” That may have been a bit a manipulative, and for that I have sought forgiveness. But he sure does love his suit.

And I am confident that when he looks back at photo’s of himself in this suit, he is going to look at me and say, “Mom, I love you. I think you are best for buying me that suit. It has always been my favorite, and I wish it came in my size today. It was so awesome! Could you make me one?” At that, I will most likely have to say no, but I’ll think about it.

Disclaimer: Caleb choose to wear this to church on Sunday. My husband is the one who made him act and dance like a game show host. Now that might be child cruelty.

No comments:

Post a Comment